Ortofon - 2M 78 - MM Cartridge
If you are looking for the best way to play your collection of 78's. Look no further then the 2M 78 Cartridge from Ortofon is the best of the affordable 78 cartridges on the market. With Ortofon you know you are getting the very best, with a century of business in the audio industry tremendous experience and know how are poured into every product.
The 2M Series of cartridges is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound.
The name 2M was selected from several ideas. We wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and remember, and therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
The 2M series of cartridges features Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention that enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and Super OM series.
We have optimised the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, and the weight and size to fit the most common turntables on the market today. The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
The 2M 78 features:
- An improved engine, which provides a high level of sonic accuracy
- Spherical diamond that is perfect for playback of 78 rpm shellac records, which require a larger stylus profile
- 2M 78 uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system. Read more about Ortofon True Mono cartridges range »
2M 78 Plug and Play model (PNP)
The new 2M headshell is a practical and elegant solution for our customers who wish direct and easy mounting and replacement on their tonearm. The combination of 2M Headshell and 2M Series cartridge adds unique distinction to the turntable!
2M Headshell features:
- Universal mount fitting a wide range of tonearms.NB: on Technics models please use the auxiliary weight which is vital in this case.
- The headshell body is manufactured from a special compound used for Medical industry, ensures high rigidity while reducing unwanted vibration
- Elegant hi-tech design
- Length 52mm. Headshell with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted provides correct Baerwald alignment with Ortofon TA-110/210, likewise with the major part of tonearms with universal mount
- Weight 16,9g, weight with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted 23g
- Exclusive plug-and-play solution
The 2M headshell is available in 2M PnP configuration (2M cartridge pre-mounted on the 2M headshell).<td">20-20,000 Hz
|Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.||4 mV|
|Channel balance at 1 kHz||-|
|Channel separation at 1 kHz||-|
|Channel separation at 15 kHz||-|
|Frequency range at - 3dB|
|Frequency response||20-20,000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB|
|Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force||70 µm|
|Compliance, dynamic, lateral||18 µm/mN|
|Stylus tip radius||R 65 µm|
|Tracking force range||1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)|
|Tracking force, recommended||1.8 g (18 mN)|
|Internal impedance, DC resistance||700 Ohm|
|Internal inductance||300 mH|
|Recommended load resistance||47 kOhm|
|Recommended load capacitance||150-300 pF|
|Cartridge colour (body/stylus)||Black/Grey|
|Cartridge weight without screws||7.2 g|
|Replacement stylus unit||2M 78|